BUCHREZENSIONEN. FILMKRITIKEN. ZITATESAMMLUNGEN.

3. November 2017

THE BEST 77 QUOTES FROM I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN

Ich würde euch raten, diesen Post in keinem Fall zu lesen, wenn ihr "I'll give you the Sun" noch lesen wollt. Dafür verrät dieser Post zu viel. Was ich euch raten kann: Lest es. 
Wäre es nicht gut, hätte ich nicht 77 quotes (and counting) darin gefunden. 
Falls ihr euch dennoch reinstürzen wollt, holt euch einen Tee und Kekse.  
May take you a while.


I can unzip the air and disappear inside it, and that's what I do until I'm far away from what happened. / 14

We bulge our eyes at each other. I bite my cheek not to laugh. Jude does too - she and me, we share a laugh switch. / 17

Jude can't stop missing Grandma. She hardly left her bedside at the end.When mom found them that final morning, one asleep, one dead, they were holding hands. / 18

Because I can see people's souls sometimes when I draw them, I know the following: Mom has a massive sunflower for a soul so big there's hardly any room in for her organs. Jude and me have one sould between us that we have to share: a tree with its leaves on fire. / 19

You forget that for the rest of us, art's just art, not religion. / 21

In heaven, during the day everybody talks in colors instead of sounds. / 24

When people fall in love, they burst into flames. / 24

Unlike most everyone else on earth, from the very first cells of us, we were together, we came here together. This is why no one hardly notices that Jude does most of the talking for both of us, why we can only play piano with all four of our hands on the keyboard and not alone. / 27

The Drowning Game goes like this: if Mom and Dad were drowning, who would we save first? (Me: Mom. Jude: depends on her mood.) And there's this other variation: If we were drowning, who would Dad save first? (Jude.) For thirteen years, Mom's stumped us. We had absolutely no idea who she'd dredge out of the water first. Until now. And without sharing a glance, we both know it. / 33

He was the kind of man who walked into the room and all the walls fall down. / 50

In every set of twins, there is one angel, one devil. / 54

I got sucked into that wave you hope never finds you, the one that takes you under, takes your breath, your bearings, disorients you completely and never brings you back to the surface again. / 62

I didn't know you could get buried in your own words. / 63

To me, boys don't smell like soap or shampoo or cut grass or sweat from soccer practice or sun lotion or the ocean from hours spent in the green curl of a wave anymore, they smell like death. / 63

When twins are separated, their spirits steal away to find the other one. / 67

Lost Cove is the end, the farthest point west you can go before falling off the world. / 67

The worst thing that could ever happen to Noah has happened. He's become normal. / 70

I want to grab my mother's hand and run back in time, losing years like coats falling from our shoulders. / 71

Because what if it's Jude who has it? She surfes waves as big as houses and jumps off everything. She gives off light. I give off dark. / 76

When he smiles, it's like all his features shift and scramble into the most disordered face I've ever seen. A face in a broken mirror. / 82

His soul might be a sun. I've never met anyone who had the sun for a soul. / 90

We've been diving up the world since we were five. / 94

Fine. I'll give you the sun. / 94

I held on to his arm, which was belted securely around me, feeling safe because Dad was in charge and it was his hand that pulled the sun up every morning and down at night. / 98

It's a sink-or-swim world. / 98

I turn around, remembering again that we got made together. Cell for cell. We were keeping each other company when we didn't have any eyes or hands. Before our soul even got delivered. / 100

Landscape: When God paints outside the lines. / 104

The sky's always falling. / 109

I know from doing portraits that you have to look at someone a really long time to see what they're covering up, to see their inside face, and when you do see it and get it down, that's the thing that makes people freak out about how much a drawing looks like them. / 111

The twins cause things to burst into flames. / 127 

It's okay to be addicted to beauty. / 138

Dad used to try to get me to go to ball games when they did this, but he doesn't bother anymore, not since I spent a whole football game facing the crowd instead of the field, sketching faces on napkins. / 140

Self-portrait: Earthquake. / 151

Hanging out with her is like sitting in an empty church. / 153

Nothing, not even a world where it rains light, where snow is purple, where frogs talk, where sunsets last a full year - could make up for the fact that you're the worst twin brother. / 154

"I love you," I say to him, only it comes out, "Hey."
"So damn much", he says back, only it comes out, "Dude". / 155

It's like being kissed by a feather. I think about the earthquake kiss and want to cry. / 158

I remember how Jude gave up the sun and stars and ocean for my drawing of him. I'm going to steal it back from her. I'm going to take everything from her. / 161

I wipe them out, one by one, until every trade of my sister's talent is gone from the world and only mine is left. / 165

He wasn't okay. Well, neither was his art. / 170

It was like he'd discovered a whole new color spectrum. It was like he'd found another galaxy of imagery. It was like he'd replaced me. / 174

The right-handed twin tells the truth, the left-handed twin tells lies. Noah and I are both left-handed. / 175

You used to make art and like boys and talk to horses and pull the moon through the windows for me. / 175

If one twin is cut, the other will bleed. / 179

It's not clear if he's making the sculpture or if the sculpture is making him. / 184

I don't deserve a love story. Love stories aren't written for girls who could do what I just did to my brother, for girls with black hearts. / 192

How can people die when you're in a fight with them? When you're smack in the middle of hating them? When absolutely nothing between you has been worked out? / 197

Guys like him really shouldn't be allowed on motorcycles. They should have to bounce around on pogo sticks, or better: Hippity Hops. / 203

Nor do I notice that he's regarding my face with the same intensity I am his. We're two paintings staring at each other across a room. / 208

If bad luck knows who you are, become someone else. / 209

They are father and son, just not by blood. I didn't know that family members could just find each other, choose each other like they have. / 215

I see the earthquake in his expression. / 220

This guy makes me feel like I'm actually here, unhidden, seen. / 229

There are times when surfing where you'll take on a wave only to realize the bottom's dropped out of it and so suddenly without warning you're free-falling down the entire face. / 241

I have this way of ruining things and I don't want to ruin this. / 252

Meeting your soul mate is like walking into a house you've been in before - you will recognize the furniture, the pictures on the wall, the books on the shelves, the contents of drawers. You could find your way around in the dark if you had to. / 254

That time he was trying to fling himself off the earth for good. I know he was. He wanted out. He'd chosen to leave. To leave me. And he would have had I not dragged him back. / 261

Noah had stopped breathing. So there were these moments when I was in life without him. For the first time. Not even in the womb were we apart. Terror doesn't come close to describing it. Fury doesn't come close. Heartbreak, no. There is no way to describe it. He wasn't there. He wasn't with me anymore. / 261

If this is what he meant about putting yourself into your art, if this is what it takes, I don't know, I really don't know if I'm up to it. / 263

He laughs a laugh so happy it blasts about a billion balloons into the air. / 280

It's like someone pressed mute on the whole world because this man is about to speak. / 281

Self-portrait: Boy Remakes World Before World Remakes Him / 283

I find her and find her and find her but I can't find her. / 288

I swear I can see sound, the dark green howling wind, the crimson crush of rain. / 289

Self-portrait: Boy Hops from Continent to Continent With Dad on Shoulders / 290

I had this dream last night. Your mother was walking through the house, and as she did, everything fell of the shelves and from the walls: books, pictures, knick-knacks, everything. All I could do was follow her around the house trying to put everything back in its place. / 294

I close my eyes and drown in color, open them and drown in light because billions and billions of buckets of light are being emptied on our heads from above. This is it. This is freaking everything. This is the painting painting itself. / 311

You hurt before you can be hurt. You are afraid of the shadow. / 343

All I wanted was for her to see me, to really see me. Not to forget me at the museum, like I didn't exist, and go home without me. Not to call off a contest, certain of my failure, before she even looked at my drawings. Not to keep reaching inside me to turn down the light while at the same time reaching into Noah to turn his to full brightness. / 350

But what if I don't need her permission, her approval, her praise to be who I want to be and do what I love? What if I'm in charge of my own damn light switch? / 350

I never felt like my sould was something that could be seen. It felt like motion, like taking off, like swimming toward the horizon and diving off a cliff or making flying woman out of sand, out of nothing. / 351

I got scared. / 377

All the color's gone. There's only darkness. / 391

Love does as it undoes. / 410

We were all heading for each other on a collision course, no matter what. Maybe some people are just meant to be in the same story. / 420 

People die, but your relationship with them doesn't. / 422

Because who knows? / 425

3 Kommentare:

  1. Huhu liebe Michelle!

    Was für ein wundervoller Post. <3
    Ich liebe, liebe, liebe diesen Roman und finde es ist auch ein wunderschönes Zitatebuch. :)

    Den Roman habe ich auf Deutsch gelesen, umso mehr freue ich mich über Deine englischen Zitate. Da werde ich mir gleich mal welche rausschreiben! *-*

    Ganz liebe Grüße und Dir noch einen schönen Abend,
    Hannah <3

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Hi Michelle :D

    Ich habe gerade das Buch "Marias letzter Tag" beendet und wollte mal wissen, was andere davon halten, da bin ich auf deinen Blog aufmerksam geworden und habe ein bisschen gestöbert.
    Du glaubst gar nicht wie sehr ich grinsen musste, als ich dieses Zitat hier entdeckt habe! Obwohl es auf englisch ist habe ich es gleich erkannt. "Ich gebe dir die Sonne" habe ich dieses Jahr ebenfalls gelesen und genau wie du wurde ich durch andere darauf aufmerksam. Aber es hat mich genauso umgehauen! Ich liebe es und es ist definitiv eines meiner Jahreshighlights! Noah und Jude haben es mir einfach angetan. Ihre Geschichte ist so voller Farbe. Hell, bunt, doch auch dunkel und trist. Ich kann das gar nicht wirklich beschreiben, was ich beim Lesen alles gefühlt habe.
    Das ich grinsen musste, als ich das Zitat sah, kannst du dir jetzt sicher vorstellen. Genau das selbe habe ich mir nämlich auch markiert :D

    Aller liebste Grüße,
    Saskia

    AntwortenLöschen